Sunday, November 21, 2010

From "Cold Mountain Mirror Displacement" by Jeremy Hoevenaar

5

Shake the box and the contents will tend

towards nonsense, likely a sort you’ve seen

before but no less charming for all their quaint

pastel catastrophizing and cornered

exhortations of hunger for a polished significance.

If gravity didn’t exist it would

be necessary to invent it. I’m doubtful

that necessity exists as anything but an illusion.

I winter in justification and summer in testimony,

an evolution audible in the tremendous ripping

apart of some dangerously complacent attitudes.

Like: maybe I’ll have a child just to prove I’m not one.

Like: and now for my carefully practiced hearse face.


Jeremy Hoevenaar will be performing his work at WORMS on November 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment